Tuesday, May 7

A New Day Dawning

As the mom of four children, I have often been guilty of rushing here and rushing there only to find that I am late, I'm grouchy or I've forgotten an item needed. I have rushed us through chores just to get them done, I've rushed them out the door, I've rushed them through meals or rushed them off to bed. In all the rushing, one loses the day, the moments, the words of life. God built us to live not rush...He made us to savor, not scarf...He fashioned our days much like He has fashioned our hearts.
Morning does not break forth suddenly, the sun does not hurry to be at full crest the moment a new day begins. The day dawns, the dark gives way to light gradually, the sun takes hours to crest and begin to descend. Our lives, our children, our hearts must also emerge in like fashion. We grow into maturity, it's not instantaneous, our children need the time we have to give and the words we have to speak, for they are dawning each and every day toward life that is full of purpose. If all we demonstrate is rushing then the lesson taught is our purpose to "hurry up and get going". There is a time for immediacy, but it must not come at the cost of the dawning. As I sit here, reflecting on my children and how quickly it seems that they have "dawned" into ladies and a gentleman, I find that life provides all the speed my heart can handle. I am thankful for the time and wish only to cherish all that has been given.

This quote from Ann Voskamp says it so well:

“Being in a hurry. Getting to the next thing without fully entering the thing in front of me. I cannot think of a single advantage I've ever gained from being in a hurry. But a thousand broken and missed things, tens of thousands, lie in the wake of all the rushing.... Through all that haste I thought I was making up time. It turns out I was throwing it away.”
― Ann Voskamp, One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are

No comments: